Sunday, April 19, 2009

Retro #1 - The Well


On Easter we were having an Easter Egg hunt over at my parents house. As we were helping the kids look in all of the strange places for these treasures, I saw 'the well' which brought many memories flooding back.

We had a drainage well in our side yard to help lower the water table around our house to keep the crawl space from flooding. Well, my dad had a great idea to use this well to pump water for sprinklers for the yard. He needed to dig the well deeper so he would have plenty of water storage in the well so he wouldn't pump the well dry. He employed my brothers and me to do this job. I must of been 6-7 years old at the time. He would lower us down by rope into the well and then have us dig and fill buckets that he would raise out. We would accomplish this in waist deep water, often having to dive under the water to get the bucket full. Other than it being quite cold, so we would have to trade people down the hole every so often, I remember that this was a fun job and we looked forward to it.

As I look back, I am not sure if my dad was a good salesman or if we were just a few bricks shy of a load.


3 comments:

  1. brought memories "flooding" back huh? that is cool. it reminds me of our creepy carrot cellar in the shed. my dad would take us by the ankle and lower us down head first and we'd gather as many carrots as we could and he'd bring us back up. But my dad must have been less of a salesman because I remember not being too excited to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds adventurous! Were you ever worried that the sides might cave in on you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, now I'm going to have nightmares just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete