Thursday, July 16, 2009

Hellenistic Lubrication 101



I walked in late to a meeting this morning. The first words that I heard were from a guy that I hadn't seen before, and he said, "To answer that question, we need to talk about the history of grease." This caught me as strangely funny, and it put a smirky smile on my face, but what made me almost bust a gut was that everyone in the room had an extremely serious look on their faces as if that statement was as common as Obama handing out stimulus checks.

You see this guy was a machine parts lubrication salesman making a pitch to our shop mechanics on the finer attributes of his product over his competitors. Kind of like a corporate version of the jr. high cheer, "we got spirit, yes we do, we go spirit, how 'bout you, and your stinky axle grease."

Has anyone ever noticed in your vocations or circle of peers, conversations, that if someone who was unfamiliar with what you do or haven't caught the original context of a conversation,would come across as really strange to the normal bystander?

2 comments:

  1. hellenistic lubrication 101 - that's good. well, the only circle i hang with - i do notice a lot of talk about babies. before i got pregnant with luke i would go to baby showers and be totally lost and have to nudge people next to me to define the baby vocab. words like boppy, bumbo, sassifier etc. But now I'm totally hip to the lingo yo.

    ReplyDelete