Monday, August 10, 2009

He Ain't No Octogenarian, At Least


One of my friends from work asked me if I wanted to do a bike ride up to Snowbasin (local ski resort) on last Saturday morning. I thought that would be great. My friend is part of a group of guys that I have been riding with. They are really good bike riders and are kind enough to let me draft more than my share.

I was a little nervous to be riding alone with him because he would be pushing me really hard, which is a good thing. Well, we plugged along. I was pushing it really hard and felt good about how I was doing. I thought that I was making a respectable show of it. As we rode, my friend was talking to me ( he was doing most of the talking, as I was doing most of the gasping for air) about his dad who is 75 and is still an avid bike rider. I know his dad. He is pretty spry but still looks like someone who is getting up there in years. I was thinking to myself that, yeah, this dad is pretty cool, until my friend said, that he climbs at about the same pace as me (of course he meant no offense to me).

My opinion than totally changed of this over achieving father. I was thinking to myself, "oh yeah, bring it on old man, we'll see who will win the green jersey for the best hill climber. I might be half your age, but I'm not going to let you show me up at the finish line."

Oh well, I guess I shouldn't get too competitive. You know we're all getting older...and I'm sure when he hits 80, I'll be leaving him in the dust.

1 comment: