Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Hobo Update


Yes we are well into Hobo spider season again. This year we have moved slightly from the "dad would you squash this one...and that one... and oh, that one for me" strategy. Oh, there is still plenty of that that goes on, but this year we have also have made a small investment (into the six figures) on sticky traps. We have them laid out everywhere. It is like we have actually mined our own house. We ourselves are in constant danger of trapping our selves, and these things really do stick. I always fear that somehow, I will get one stuck to the side of my face with at least a dozen or so spiders stuck there with me. You know, they don't die right away when they get caught on these things. You can watch them do push ups for many days after they get caught. So the last thing that I would want would be to have a full aerobics class going on next to my nostrils as they try to get a piece of me in a counter attack.

We usually place these traps in strategic locations where we know they like to roam, kind of the 'hobo highways' for a lack of a better term. Regardless of how many we catch they love to follow certain paths. They just keep piling up on top of each other on these traps. There is a series of traps at the bottom of our door in the laundry room. Every day I count how many we are getting on the trap. Until yesterday. I went down to get a fresh spider count and the traps were gone.

I guess that we need to replace the traps when we reach 45 on them, otherwise, they can walk off on their own with the trap.

2 comments:

  1. Full aerobics class going on next to your nostrils? Loved that line!
    You do know that Andrew was snagged on two of them at once--each one with at least 10 spiders doing the knee bend. He stopped crying about an hour after I got him unstuck, so I think he'll be fine--no permanent emotional scars or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what is creepier - the post or the pictures. I vote the pictures. So creepy! And I guess Jenny's comment is right up there. I think I have permanent emotional scars just from having that image of poor andrew being stuck in spider traps in my head. You guys lead such a spidery life.

    ReplyDelete