Thursday, January 28, 2010

I Spy


The other day I had to pick up my daughter from school and take her to the Orthodontist. When we got to her appointment a received a phone call from my boss stating that he needed some information that I had electronically. Fortunately, I had my laptop with me. Unfortunately, I didn't have an air card, as I was planning to work at home on our wireless network.

I didn't have time to drive all the way back to work or to drive home, so I did the next best possible thing. I drove around until I got a signal strong enough from some business's wireless network and emailed the information. I'm not sure what I think about that.

I do know that I felt like a secret agent spy sneaking around and tapping into some terrorist network to thwart a national security threat. (but was I one of the good guy spies?)

Has anyone had any similar type experiences?

4 comments:

  1. Unless you downloaded their private files, I think you can continue on in life with a clear conscience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. when all the techno gadgets started becoming more public friendly - anytime i would connect a gadget to a computer or turn on a gps or put a bunch of files on one of those flash drive memory stick thingies - i would feel like a spy. i know that is kinda nerdy but ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to know that I'm not the only nerd out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did the same thing at the beach, but unfortunately it didn't work out for us. We had to go to buy at least $3 of ice-cream and get a code to use the wi-fi at the ice-cream store. Now, though, McDonald's is advertizing that they have free wi-fi (at least out East.) Maybe the next big thing will be Big Mac and spies.

    ReplyDelete