Sunday, February 14, 2010

Retro #8 Missed out on Olympic Gold


My dad often told us kids things we believed without hesitation. We would re-tell these things to our friends and with a 'cross your heart and hope to die' defend these things as the gospel truth. In retrospect, I see that my father loved to pull our legs and didn't mean us any harm. Still...when I was young, they were so believable and I wanted them to be true.

In honor of the Olympics here is one of my dad's yarns:

I once was asked to compete in the Olympics in speed skating, but I had to turn down the offer because I didn't own a pair of skates.

In all honesty, I find myself doing this same thing with my kids.

Does anyone else have memories of things that you thought were real as a kid but realized when you grew up that things weren't quite as real as you imagined them?




2 comments:

  1. I used to think that Cindy Cox lived behind the organ pipes in the Huntsville chapel. I think they played a tape of her talking - like when she was on her mission or something. And when I asked someone, I think it was Jenny, where Cindy was and how come we couldn't see her - and she told me she lived behind the pipes. I guess I was one gullible kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew Says:
    Wow, you don't have a pair of skates? That's pretty weird! Everybody does. Especially me. Usually people like to skate on the ice.

    ReplyDelete