Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Does Lightning Strike Twice?




Usually when I sneeze once I know that a second one is coming. It seems like most things come in twos. Like when we watched a Disney Show made for teens, yesterday, our daughter immediately started watching it again. The same was true when I was working out in the yard. When I accidentally cut the electrical line for my sprinklers, I did it again the second time shortly after repairing the first mishap. I also hit the back of my hand in the same spot twice, within minutes, with a hammer; each misguided stroke just as powerful as the one before.



I had another unfortunate experience recently on our 'whirl-wind across the country tour' vacation. It had been at least 10 years since I had been pulled over by a police officer, so I guess that I was overdue for one of those choice occurrences. We happened to be in Indiana at the time. It seemed that the odds were stacked against us for leniency, when the trooper was greeted by a car whose contents were in the final chaotic state of being in decay for three long weeks. We couldn't find the registration, he lectured our oldest daughter in the back, who didn't have her seat belt securely fastened. I also was reprimanded for not staying in my lane as I almost went into evasive maneuvers as I saw a car coming up onto my tail at an extreme rate of speed about to ram me. It turned out to be the Trooper without his lights on, driving near the speed of sound. (Darn it all, if your going to drive like the rest of us maniacs, at least turn your lights on so we can tell who you are.)


Luckily, we were spared a ticket. We walked away from the incident with only a warning. Jenny attributes it to the fact that when she was searching for the registration in the glove box she pulled out a bible in clear view of the Officer. It may have been all of the scared and sad looking faces in the car (well, at least my face); or may have simply been that, with all of our infractions, they would have to impound our Sturgeon (Ford Excursion)which is the size of half the state of Rhode Island, and they just didn't have that size of acreage available.

So, when we I was pulled over again within a few days of getting home from our trip, I wasn't too worried about getting a ticket, because this double mint deja vu thing that I got going on meant that another warning was on it's way. So when I was handed the ticket I was a little bit surprised.

Maybe I shouldn't have handed him the bible with my driver's license tucked into the pages like a book mark.

2 comments:

  1. i just got a ticket too! but i didn't know about the bible trick. that is so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you had so many bad things happen in pairs--the worst being the double showing of that tacky teenybopper movie.

    ReplyDelete