Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Retro #6 - Light up the Sky Like a Flame


As I drove my two oldest girls to a youth dance tonight, I was reminded of a New Year's Eve of long ago. When I was about 9 years old our Stake (Church Organization) held a New Year's Eve dance. Towards the end of the dance, as it was nearing midnight, the live band held a dance off. The song of choice was 'Bad, Bad LeRoy Brown', that old get down and boogy song of the 70's. Well, I pulled out all of the stops and busted a few of my best moves. Sure enough when it was time to announce the winner, I just happened to rise to the top. I think that the angel flights that I was wearing gave me extra style points.

The prize for winning was to be the first in line for refreshments. That was when it struck me, that this was Saturday night and the next day was fast Sunday (a day in our church where we refrain from eating two meals and donate the money that we would have spent on those meals to those in need). I had started my fast, but everyone was waiting for me to load up on goodies and start chowing down. All eyes were on me and I felt a tremendous amount of pressure. I panicked and I grabbed a big sugar cookie and took a bite and then ran out into the hall where I promptly dumped the incriminating evidence in a garbage can.

I remember feeling very guilty for a while. After that, I have been very hesitant to dance like I was the one who inspired the movie 'Fame'. Still, I always wondered if I could have become a 'Solid Gold' dancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment